By: Oshawa Psychotherapy Training Institute (OPTI)
A 30-hour continuing education online workshop for mental health professionals dealing with the safe and effective use of self in therapy.
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Time: 9:00 AM EST
OPTI’s Safe & Effective Use of Self (SEUS) workshop explores how “self-reflective use of…personality, insights, perceptions and judgements” 1 can optimize interactions in the client-therapist relationship.
The goal of this 30-hour online workshop is to fully explore and develop this essential competency for psychotherapy practice, helping clinicians become more reflective, attuned, and appropriate when using self in therapy.
OPTI’s hands-on, strength-based learning approach guides attendees through key areas that influence their personal approach to the therapeutic relationship, including:
- family history and dynamics
- the role of relational boundaries
- human and cultural diversity
- anti-oppression practice
- subjective experience of the client role through experiential practice
OPTI’s SEUS workshop uses a collaborative, self-discovery process to develop and enhance the following proficiencies found in the CRPO Safe and Effective Use of Self Competency (4.3):
- Demonstrate awareness of the impact of the therapist's subjective context on the therapeutic process
- Recognize the impact of power dynamics within the therapeutic relationship
- Protect the client from imposition of the therapist's personal issues
- Employ effective and congruent verbal and non-verbal communication
- Use self-disclosure appropriately
For more details on workshop structure, presenter bios and continuing education credits, please click here for a downloadable pdf.